Technical Advice for centres and outdoor providers

Who needs technical advice? 

Our clients fall into two key areas:

  1. Commercial providers of outdoor activities for under-18s who have a license from the Adventure Activity Licensing Service, but who do not have a suitably qualified and experienced person on their staff to take on the role of Technical Adviser for some activities.
  2. Outdoor activity providers who are exempt from the licence scheme because they do not directly charge for the activities, but who recognise that they need training and advice, for example Scouts, schools offering outdoor activities.

Our clients use our expertise in the following ways:

  • To further staff training and experience
  • To provide NGB award courses: LCMLA L1 & L2
  • To explore new venues for activities
  • For site specific training and validation for staff who do not hold NGBs but who are competent and experienced
  • For advice on and approval of safety management systems, risk assessments and operating procedures
  • For advice on the implementation of safety management systems to ensure that they are based on accepted good practice and that they comply with the written systems

Our approach is to always look at the client’s ways of working and giving advice, rather than suggesting set methods. 

The main areas covered are:


  • To advise on appropriate qualifications for activities
  • To assess staff competence in the absence of NGB qualifications


  • To identify staff training needs and priorities
  • To provide in-house training as required, including NGBs
  • To monitor in-house training


  • To advise on the establishment of safety procedures
  • To monitor and review safety procedures
  • To advise on activity venues


  • To advise on purchase and use of equipment
  • To monitor equipment maintenance and replacement procedures


  • To advise on BCA policy
  • To assist with AALA, AdventureMark, LOtC inspection visits as required